DataScience@work seminar: Shell Research

We’re excited to welcome speakers from Shell Research to the next DataScience@work seminar.

Matthew Jones, Statistisian at Shell Research.

Abstract: Data Science is growing in importance across business and industry. In Shell, a new Data Science organisation was created in 2018 to accelerate the development and deployment of methods from Statistics, Machine Learning and related fields. In the talk, I will describe a few of our current projects in the areas of environmental extreme value analysis, methane emissions monitoring, geomechanical inversion, and production optimisation. I will also try to give a flavour of what it’s like to work as a Statistician in Shell’s evolving Data Science organisation.

Bio: I’m a Statistician working in Shell’s Data Science organisation: in my job, I get to work as a consultant/researcher on a variety of projects across the company. Before starting at Shell, I completed a PhD at Durham University, working on a few different topics in sequential experimental design, Bayesian uncertainty analysis, and Bayes linear analysis.

Matthew will be joined by fellow Shell Statistician Philip Jonathan.

About Shell

“Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies that aims to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible.”

See also Shell’s website and LinkedIn page.

Skip to toolbar