The Compass DataScience@work seminar invites speakers from industry, government and third-sector to provide our PhD students with their perspective on the realities of being a data scientist in industry: from the methods and techniques they use to build applications, to working as part of a wider organisation, and how to build a career in their sector.
Compass aims to develop scientific and professionally agility in its students. Our goal is to connect technical expertise in data science with experience of thinking, communicating and collaborating across disciplines and across sectors. In our DataScience@Work seminar series, Compass partners from industry will share insights into the key role of Data Science within their organisations, their objectives and future outlook. This is a great opportunity for our students to learn about career trajectories beyond academia, helping shape their aspirations and personal goals for life beyond the PhD.
Prof Nick Whiteley, Compass Director
We invite speakers from a broad range of backgrounds, which is reflected in the topics and format. Talks are organised both in-person or online. We facilitate a networking session after the seminar to make sure invited speakers have chance to connect with Compass staff and students.
2022/23 seminar speakers will be announced in November 2023
- Dr Anita Nandi, Senior Data Scientist at Trilateral Research
- Dr Tom Diethe, Applied Science Manager at AWS
- Dr Matthew Arnold, Director of Real World Science at AstraZeneca
- Dr Tom Minka, Senior Principal Researcher at Microsoft Research
- Dr Helen Webster, Senior Scientist at Met Office
- Dr Kathryn Leeming, Environmental Statistician at British Geological Survey
- Dr Patrick Cannon, Research Scientist, and Dr Rory Greig, Senior Research Scientist at Improbable
- Dr Hamza Aagli, IBM Data Science and AI Elite at IBM Research
- Dr Matthew Jones, Statistisian at Shell Research
- Dr David Greenwood, COO and Director of Data Science, and Ed Barter, Lead Data Scientist, at CheckRisk.
- Felisia Loukou, Dr. Daniel Cowley, and Dr. Daniel Clarke at Adarga.
If you have any questions about the DataScience@work seminars, please contact Liz in the first instance.